Corinthian Lodge No. 174, A.F. & A.M. was Instituted June, 1864 at Brooklyn Iowa. The Charter for the Lodge was received in 1865. Corinthian Lodge No. 174 has operated continuously since that date. The Charter Members were: Robert Davidson, William H McQueen, John M. Talbott, Robert C, Shimer, James E. Johnson, Thomas Rainsburg, Silas Melvin, Simon Snyder, John Conaway, Caleb Pummer, Matthew Chambers, Jefferson Stephens, J.M. Meserve, Rev. E. Happy, S.S. Moore, and William Walters.
The regular monthly meetings were held during the full moon so the members would have light to drive or ride their horses home after the meeting. With the invention of different modes of transportation, a specific night was set for each monthly meeting.
For a good many years Corinthian Lodge No. 174 met in the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall. In 1895 the Masons built the building at 142 Jackson in Brooklyn. The building was partially destroyed by fire shortly after it was occupied and again in 1935 when the grocery store on the first floor burned. Once more a fire was discovered the day after Christmas 1994, in the bakery occupying the first floor. This was mainly smoke damage, but it did keep the Masons from meeting in their building for several months. In 2006, Corinthian Lodge sold their building and now meet in the Masonic Temple in Malcom.
In January of 1963, Sharon Lodge of Victor consolidated with Corinthian Lodge of Brooklyn, retaining the name of Corinthian Lodge. The Victor members have taken an active part in the activities of the lodge since consolidating.
Corinthian Lodge has been active in the Grand Lodge with a number of its members serving on various committees over the years. Four of its members have also served as Grand Lodge Officers. Ross Mc Culla was appointed Junior Grand Deacon in 1961, elected Junior Grand Warden in 1967 and in 1976 was elected Grand Masters of Masons in Iowa. Terry Osbome served the Grand Lodge as Grand Tyier in 1995 and was elected Junior Grand Warden in 2005. Duane Munson elected Grand Treasurer for the year of 1999-2000. Edison Sharp Jr. was appointed Grand Tyier in 2002 and was elected Senior Grand Warden in 2006.
In January of 2012, Lily Lodge of Malcom consolidated with Corinthian Lodge of Brooklyn, changing the name to Poweshiek Lodge.
The present Officers of Poweshiek Lodge for 2013 are: Max Higgason., Worshipful Master; Chris Keller, Senior Warden; Larry Ehrig, Junior Warden; Jim Schwiebert, Treasurer; Terry Osborne, Secretary; Charles Stepanek, Chaplain; Bill Dayton, Senior Deacon; B.J. Poe, Junior Deacon; Dave Schwiebert, Senior Steward; Bob Lender, Junior Steward; and Edison Sharp Jr.Tyler.
Living Past Masters of the Lodge are: Ross Mc Culla, Dale Lippincott, Robert Willett, Marvin DePauw, Dean Montgomery, Duane Munson, Ronald Stonebraker, J. Ronald Everist, Charles Ormiston, Roger Nelson, Edison Sharp Jr., Lee Adkins, Curtis Riedel, Terry Osbome, Lon Fisher, Charles Rohrer, Eugene Mann, Jim Schwiebert, and David Schwiebert.
Poweshiek Lodge has always been very supportive of community projects. They have helped many needy families and individuals in time of misfortune. Health equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs crutches, hospital beds etc. have been furnished for those in the community, who need such help, without charge.
If you have any questions about Masonry or Poweshiek Lodge please call Junior Sharp at 641-528-5405 or
send an email to: Poweshieklodge@gmail.com
A special thank you to Ross McCulla for preparing this information.